A "Pick of the Day" is one of many fine Silent Sports Cars, a 1938 Bentley 4.25-liter Park Ward Saloon. A very good original automobile that has never required nor received a complete restoration, as reported by the owner. The car has been refreshed recently to a high standard, as the picture depicts.
This 4 1/4 Liter Derby Gurney Nutting Sedanca Coupe was originally sold new in London, UK, 90 Derby Bentley cars received coach work from ultra-exclusive coach builder J. Gurney Nutting.
H. J. Mulliner & Co. was a well-known British coachbuilder operating from Bedford Park, Chiswick, West London. The company which owned it was formed by H J Mulliner in 1897 but the business was a continuing branch of a family business founded in Northampton in the 1760s to hire out carriages. In December 1909 the controlling interest in this company passed to John Croall & Sons of Edinburgh. Croall sold that interest to Rolls-Royce in 1959.
Another fine example of Gurney Nutting coachwork, owned by one of our Derby Bentley Society members. A 1935 Derby fitted with the 3-1/2 liter engine. Carrying chassis No. B166DG and body style 1659 smartly displayed as a drophead coupe. Originally designed in England by John Blatchley for the Countess of Warwick. A brilliant color combination of original Green on Black.
This 1934 Derby Bentley, chassis B136 AH, is a handsome and exquisitely restored car wearing unique close-coupled “Saloon Coupe” coachwork by Freestone & Webb.
In 1919, Walter Owen (W. O.) Bentley and Horace Millner Bentley (Brothers) formed "Bentley Motors Limited" in England. W. O. mostly being credited with the inspiration for the Bentley automobile. W.O.’s first complete Bentley 3 Litre car began road tests in January 1920 coupled with his quote, "To build a good car, a fast car, the best in class.". After considerable designs and racing cars, W. O. lost his fortunes to an indirect Rolls Royce secret buyout. From this emerged the "Derby Bentley" automobile.
Built at Derby, England, alongside Rolls-Royce and launched in September, 1933, as the 3½-litre Bentley, this car possessed excellent handling characteristics and could achieve a top speed of 97mph when fitted with lightweight bodywork. Furthermore, like all products designed under the influence of Sir Henry Royce, it was imbued with some of the most complicated design solutions for any car of the period. Nevertheless, it caught on and proved immensely popular. Very soon, this new Bentley was christened 'The Silent Sports Car' - a name it is still closely associated with.
For those who love automobiles, our Society welcomes new members to
join the Derby Bentley Society. Membership is easy. One way is to
join the Rolls Royce
Owners Club since our Society is a sub-chapter of the RROC. If
you are a member of these organizations, BDC, RREC, RR/B of Australia or
New Zealand, you may apply for membership.
The Derby Bentley Society offers many levels of Derby Bentley automobile information that will entice the automotive buff. Included in membership are two magazines; "The Flying Lady" and "On The Road", both containing articles on Rolls Royce, Bentley and Derby Bentley cars. Organized meets, conventions, study groups, internet sites all devoted to these Classic and Contemporary Cars are held from time to time.
Use the Contact form on this web page to get more information about joining our Society.